FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
New Special Interest Tours in Spain
Private tours focus on food and wine, UNESCO sites, art and architecture, Jewish heritage, and more
Luxury tour operator Artisans of Leisure has just introduced 10 new private Spain tours for 2006. Many are special interest tours that focus on food and wine, UNESCO World Heritage cities, romantic resorts, off-the-beaten-track hilltowns, Jewish heritage, art and architecture, and Moorish Spain and Morocco. There are also regional tours and a tour of the cultural highlights of Spain. Artisans of Leisure is one of the only tour operators based in the United States that offers a comprehensive range of private luxury tours in Spain.
“These new tours feature the cultural and lifestyle experiences that make Spain such an attractive destination for luxury travelers,” said Ashley Isaacs Ganz, president of Artisans of Leisure. “The tours include the best of historic and contemporary Spain with activities such as learning to prepare Spanish dishes at private homes, tasting tours of tapas bars led by local residents, ‘insider’ shopping tours, and exploring villages in rural Spain.”
All tours depart daily and include private touring with local experts in history and culture as well as accommodation at Spain’s most luxurious hotels, such as the sophisticated Hotel Arts in Barcelona, the romantic La Residencia on Majorca, and the rustic Mas de Torrent in Catalonia. The hotels—several of which are Relais & Chateaux properties—are selected for their beautiful local style, superlative service and exceptional level of luxury.
Following are brief descriptions of the new Spain tours and highlights of the private touring included on each:
FOOD & WINE
“Food & Wine of Spain” (14 days).
- The flavors of Spain, from north to south and from traditional to cutting-edge, plus the culture behind the food and wine. Perfect for foodies, chefs and anyone who likes great cuisine and fine wine. Shorter regional culinary tours are also available.
- Private touring includes: private tasting tours of tapas bars in Seville and pintxos bars in San Sebastian, gourmet meals at Michelin-star restaurants, olive oil tasting in Seville, a cooking class at a private dining club in San Sebastian, a tasting tour of chocolatiers in Barcelona, sherry tasting in Jerez, cava tasting in a castle in Catalonia, wine tasting in the medieval hilltown of Laguardia and at a bodega designed by Santiago Calatrava in La Rioja, a private tour with an art specialist of the Guggenheim Bilbao and the Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres, and more.
HONEYMOONS / LEISURE & ROMANCE
“Romantic Spain” (14 days).
- A relaxing itinerary that visits Spain’s premier luxury resorts on the Costa del Sol and the island of Majorca, and includes cultural touring in two of Spain’s most fascinating cities—Seville and Barcelona. Ideal for honeymooners, couples and travelers looking for a mix of cultural touring and ample leisure time in romantic settings.
- Private touring includes: private tasting tour of tapas bars in Seville, Moorish architecture and narrow backstreets in Seville, food markets and Gaudi architecture in Barcelona, medieval villages along the Costa Brava.
“Luxuries of Spain & Morocco” (12 days).
- Cultural touring and luxurious resort hotels in southern Spain’s great Moorish cities, in Marrakesh and in an oasis on the edge of the Sahara Desert. Great for honeymooners, couples and travelers wanting the most indulgent experiences—including staying at a kasbah hotel— in these most evocative regions.
- Private touring includes: Moorish architecture and narrow backstreets in Seville, sherry tasting in Jerez, the Mezquita (Great Mosque) and historic quarter in Cordoba, the Alhambra and Albaicin (Arab Quarter) in Granada, an introductory tour of Casablanca, ancient souks and stylish shops in Marrakesh, water gardens and romantic palace restaurants in Marrakesh, Berber markets in the High Atlas Mountains, kasbahs around Ouarzazate.
“Jewish Heritage: Spain” (14 days).
- Comprehensive tour through Spain’s major cities and important towns with academic-level touring of the history of the Spanish Jews as well as the Christians and Muslims they lived alongside. Perfect for people who like a little hedonism with their history, and for travelers looking for a luxurious, in-depth cultural tour throughout Spain.
- Private touring includes: meetings with Jewish scholars and historians in towns along the “Sephardic Way,” a cooking class in Seville, Mudejar-style synagogues and mosques in Toledo, narrow backstreets in the Jewish Quarters of Girona and Seville, Moorish architecture in Seville, an ancient mikvah in medieval Besalu, synagogues in Barcelona and Cordoba, Jewish heritage centers, the Alhambra in Granada, private shopping tours of upscale boutiques in Barcelona and Madrid.
“Highlights of Spain” (10 days).
- Luxurious tour of major cultural destinations plus exclusive experiences throughout Spain. Great for families and travelers wanting a well-rounded introduction to Spain’s art, architecture, food, wine and history.
- Private touring includes: the Royal Palace and Prado Museum in Madrid, Moorish architecture and narrow backstreets in Seville, the Mezquita (Great Mosque) and historic quarter in Cordoba, the Alhambra and Albaicin (Arab Quarter) in Granada, food markets and stylish shops in Barcelona, Gaudi architecture in Barcelona, private wine tasting in rural Catalonia or cultural touring along the Costa Brava.
“Best of Andalusia” (7 days).
- Andalusia’s three great Moorish-flavored cities—Seville, Cordoba and Granada. Perfect for travelers wanting to explore one of Spain’s most enticing regions in style.
- Private touring includes: private tasting tour of tapas bars in Seville, Moorish architecture and narrow backstreets in Seville, the Mezquita (Great Mosque) and historic quarter in Cordoba, the Alhambra and Albaicin (Arab Quarter) in Granada.
“Rural Andalusia” (11 days).
- Comprehensive tour through Andalusia’s important cities, whitewashed hilltowns and UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Ideal for travelers who want to tour Andalusia in depth and stay in boutique hotels in atmospheric small towns.
- Private touring includes: the dramatic gorge and historic districts in Ronda, sherry tasting in Jerez, Moorish architecture and narrow backstreets in Seville, Roman and Mudejar-style architecture in Carmona, the Mezquita (Great Mosque) and historic quarter in Cordoba, Renaissance palaces and plazas in Ubeda, the Alhambra and Albaicin (Arab Quarter) in Granada, Jewish Quarters in Cordoba and Vejer de la Frontera.
“Historic Central Spain” (11 days).
- Madrid and the fascinating UNESCO World Heritage cities and sites in the surrounding regions. Ideal for travelers interested in art history, architecture and great local cooking.
- Private touring includes: private tasting tour of tapas bars in Madrid, the Royal Palace and the Prado Museum in Madrid, Mudejar-style synagogues and mosques in Toledo, Roman ruins in Merida and Segovia, small towns along the Via de la Plata (Silver Route) in Extremadura, historic towers and palaces in Caceres, the Monastery of Guadalupe, palaces and Baroque squares in Salamanca, the medieval city walls in Avila, the Monastery of El Escorial.
“Barcelona in Depth” (5 days).
- Art, architecture, shopping and food in one of Europe’s most exciting, innovative cities. Great for travelers wanting an insider’s view of the best of Barcelona’s history and lifestyle.
- Private touring includes: Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia and other architectural masterpieces, modern art museums, the Gothic Quarter, a shopping tour of specialty boutiques, food markets, noted restaurants and design shops.
“Heart of Catalonia” (7 days).
- The best of Barcelona plus ancient towns, historical landmarks and fine cuisine in the surrounding countryside. Perfect for anyone wanting to explore the charms of Barcelona and Catalonia in greater depth.
- Private touring includes: a foodies tour in Barcelona, the Cathedral and Jewish Quarter in Girona, medieval towns and Greek ruins along the Costa Brava, the mountainside monastery of Montserrat or wine tasting in the countryside, Gaudi architecture and contemporary design shops in Barcelona, optional meals at renowned restaurants.
All tours include customized itinerary planning, flexible touring with expert private guides and drivers, hand-selected rooms in luxury hotels, daily breakfast and some additional meals (depending on the tour), internal transportation, restaurant reservations, admission fees, special amenities, access to Artisans of Leisure’s extensive network of associates within Spain, and more.
For additional information and details about Artisans of Leisure tours, please call 800-214-8144 or 1-212-243-3239, or visit the company’s website www.artisansofleisure.com or blog www.artisansofleisuretraveler.com.