FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Meals in Private Homes in India
Artisans of Leisure travelers experience authentic home-cooked meals
New York, NY – Luxury tour operator Artisans of Leisure has just introduced a special optional activity available on all of their tours in India: private meals in the homes of local families. During the meals, travelers meet local people, dine on home-cooked cuisine, and learn more about the local lifestyle and customs. The homes belong to friends of Artisans of Leisure and their associates throughout India.
“As in most countries, some of the best food in India is served in private homes,” said Ashley Isaacs Ganz, president of Artisans of Leisure. “With these meals, our travelers experience great home cooking, learn about regional culinary traditions, and interact with their hosts in a relaxed, festive environment.”
Sample dishes and meals include:
- A vegetarian Jain lunch of vegetables, lentils, clear soup and puris (flat bread that puffs up when deep fried).
- A traditional Rajasthani dinner of curry made with ker (a small bush berry) and sangri (long beans from the khejri tree), yogurt, rice and chapatis.
- A desert feast in Jaisalmer of dal bati (buttery roasted dough balls dipped in lentil curry) and yogurt curry with vegetable fritters.
- A North India dinner of lamb biryani (rice cooked with spices and meat) and vegetables in yogurt sauce.
- A South India meal of three types of rice (tamarind, lemon and curd), rice cakes with spicy mashed potato filling, vegetables and lentils, and rice pudding.
Artisans of Leisure offers private luxury tours throughout India, including: A Taste of India, a nine-day tour of Delhi, Agra (Taj Mahal) and Jaipur; Essence of India, a 16-day tour of Delhi, Varanasi, Agra (Taj Mahal), Jaipur, Jaisalmer and Udaipur; and Classic South India, an eight-day tour of Chennai (Madras), Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kumarakom, the Backwaters of Kerala and Kochi (Cochin).
India tour highlights include: exploring the jewelry and fabric bazaars of Rajasthan, a sunset carriage ride to the Taj Mahal, romantic dinners in palaces, camel rides through desert sand dunes, Ayurvedic spa treatments, tours of spice markets followed by cooking classes, luxury cruises through the Backwaters of Kerala, and game viewing in Ranthambore National Park and Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
All India tours include: comprehensive sightseeing with expert private guides and drivers, hand-selected rooms in the country’s finest luxury hotels (including Oberoi and Taj properties and palace hotels), daily breakfast and some additional meals (depending on the tour), internal transportation, restaurant reservations, admission fees, special amenities, access to Artisans of Leisure’s extensive network of associates within India, and more.
Artisans of Leisure arranges private, luxury international tours. For additional information and details about Artisans of Leisure tours, please call 800-214-8144 or 1-212-243-3239, or visit the company’s website www.artisansofleisure.com or blog www.artisansofleisuretraveler.com.